by Han Cilliers (Lola) Posted Friday, December 12, 2014 7:32:00 AM
Everyone knows someone that plays video games on Facebook. Social games have perhaps introduced more people to the world of gaming than all the AAA games combined. Facebook released their top games of 2014, with Cookie Jam taking the crown of Game of the Year. Facebook's top mobile games include the strategy game, Star Wars: Commando and their Hall of Fame include the classic, Zynga Poker.
The games were selected based on:
- Player ratings
- Strength of Facebook implementation
- Overall quality
Please note that the lists are in alphabetical order.
Facebook's 2014 Game of the Year
Launch date: May 2013
Platforms: Android, iOS, Facebook
Users: Rose to over five million players within a few months
Game summary: "Crunch your cookies before they crumble in Cookie Jam! Sprinkled with a
deliciously sweet twist, this match-3 game is equal parts fun and
challenging. Hop in your traveling bakery to set sail on this new puzzle
adventure and explore mouth-watering patisseries from around the world. Whip
your way though dozens of addictively sweet recipe-solving challenges
by concocting scrumptious cookie combos. But crunch, crunch as fast as
you can, or your batch will be ruined by the Gingerbread Man. It’s
Facebook's 2014 Best New Games
- Bubble Witch 2 Saga
- This was a year of successful sequels for King, starting off with a
revamp of their classic bubble shooter, Bubble Witch Saga.
- Candy Crush Soda Saga
- King’s second sequel of the year takes Candy Crush Saga up a notch
with dynamic, goal-driven matching designed to rescue gummy bears from
drowning in the titular soda.
- Hero Defense
- Tower defense games have lasting appeal for Facebook players and Hero
Defense from Shang Game Co takes it to the next level with a mix of
adorable character designs for the various units.
- Kim Kardashian: Hollywood
- Glu's runaway mobile game success, starring one of Hollywood’s
hottest stars, makes a splash on Facebook among more than a million
players in just four weeks.
- This story-driven city-builder from Vizor Interactive sends players
on a quest to rescue a lost gold-digger in a mountainous land.
- League of Angels
- This stylish role-playing game from Youzu Interactive features
full-fleshed character classes and instantly-familiar gameplay
- Old Vegas Slots - This solid slots title from DGN Games continues to see success on both Facebook and mobile.
- Sparta: War of Empires
- Another successful game from a leader in the strategy genre, Sparta
builds on the success of previous titles Stormfall: Age of War and
Soldiers Inc. in an antiquity-themed adventure.
- SuperCity - Proving city-builders are far from over, developer Playkot provides a highly-engaging experience for fans of the genre
Facebook's 2014 Best Mobile Games
- Boom Beach - Developer Supercell's second entry into the strategy category features a lush jungle setting.
- Crazy Taxi: City Rush - The latest in the famed racing game series lets them swerve to avoid obstacles rather than drive the cab directly.
- Disco Bees - An adorable and innovative match-3 puzzle game.
- Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff - This game lets players recreate Quahog with familiar characters and buildings from the show.
- Star Wars: Commander - A strategy game set in the Star Wars universe between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back
Facebook's 2014 Hall of Fame Games
- Bingo Blitz - Acquired by Caesar's Interactive, Playtika Santa Monica, some years back, this bingo game has staying power on our platform.
- Caesars Casino
- This casino game was the first to launch after Caesar's Interactive
acquired Facebook game developer Playtika, and it's still going strong.
- Top Eleven Be a Football Manager - One of the first football management sims on Facebook, and still one of the longest-running games.
- Words With Friends - The Scrabble-inspired word game relaunched this year to a whole new audience.
- Zynga Poker - Formerly known as Texas Hold 'Em Poker, this is one of the oldest games on Facebook and it still draws a crowd.
What's your top 2014 Facebook game? Keep an eye on GameZone for our own Top 10 Mobile Games of 2014.
MWEB GameZone: Twitter | Facebook
Other News from Around the 'Net:
Please note that the opinions expressed in
this article are those of the author and not MWEB Connect (Pty) Ltd
comments powered by