Mobile Data Device Troubleshooting
A quick guide to troubleshooting problems with your Mobile Data Device.
This guide assumes that you are using a USB Stick type device to connect to the Internet, which you are plugging into a desktop PC, or notebook :
- You should generally hear an audible 'docking tone' when plugging in your USB stick.
- Almost all data sticks will have a light showing that the device is powered up and color coded to show the connection type
- On Windows You can check the system tray for a message showing that the device is connected successfully.
- If there is an error or the device is not present try plugging it in to a different port
- If that doesn't work try restarting the PC.
- Optionally you can also locate and uninstall the devices setup software before restarting the PC to allow it to re-install from scratch.
- If you're having trouble installing the software make sure it's the right version for your PC's operating system and that you are logged in with the right permissions. You may have to visit the manufacturer website for the latest software for your device.
If none of these work you should try and insert your 3G stick into another laptop or PC as it may very well be faulty
If your 3G stick appears to be functioning normally and is correctly installed you might also want to check the sim card. The easiest way to do this is to remove the sim card from the stick and insert it into another device, such as a mobile phone.
If you think your 3G stick or sim card may be faulty, please refer to our hardware replacement guide for instructions on how to proceed.