Half-Life continues to live on, it’s the game that will never die, right? The Sven Co-op Development Team thinks so. These die-hard fans have laboured a staggering 15 years on a mod for Half-Life, as a reward, the Valve Overlords decided to grant these fanatics the right to work on their own version of the Half-Life engine. Finally satisfied with the co-op mod, they will now turn their attention to bring said mod out as a standalone game, using their custom build Half-Life engine. Because they are true fans, the game will be free.
We salute them and we expect to see the game in 20 years.
“After nearly fifteen years in development as a mod for Half-Life, and with our final mod release out of the way, the Sven Co-op Development Team is incredibly proud to announce that we are now focusing all of our effort on our next big project. We've been granted access by Valve to work on our own custom version of the Half-Life engine!”
- The next version of Sven Co-op will run as a standalone game using a custom build of the Half-Life engine.
- The game will be FREE for all Steam users, including the official Half-Life campaign (for 2+ player co-op play).
- A Half-Life purchase will not be required.
- Automatic updates will be available using Steam's content delivery system dubbed SteamPipe. This will allow us to perform more frequent and rapid updates as needed.
- Updates and new features will be added to the Half-Life engine, as well as a series of improvements to Half-Life's level editor called Hammer.
- Increased Half-Life engine limits to allow for much larger and more detailed worlds.
- Stability, performance, and gameplay improvements for everyone.
Source: Sven co-op forum
Han’s Twitter | Blog / MWEB GameZone Twitter | Facebook
Other News from Around the 'Net:
Please note that the opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and not MWEB Connect (Pty) Ltd