In an 18-page exclusive feature article, US gaming magazine, Game Informer has dropped the full 411 on Grand Theft Auto V
... dawg. Naw meen!
Ok, so anyway, the big reveal to come out the article is that GTA V
will have not one, but three primary protagonists and you'll be able to switch them at any time during play. That's a pretty revolutionary feature for an open-world game right there and brings up a host of strategic opportunities as far as gameplay is concerned. To give an example, the game feature a heist mission that has one character rappelling down the side of a building, while another provides overwatch sniper cover. While playing, you'll be able to switch between the two characters on the fly.
Also of note is that the game area of Los Santos has a bigger surface area than Red Dead Redemption, GTA: San Andreas,
and Grand Theft Auto IV
combined, containing a large wilderness area, a military base and even an explorable underwater ocean floor.
One things for certain, the won't be a lack of things to do then in GTA V.
My only worry is how the story will pan out, given that their are three narratives all running at once and they are all intersecting. Then again, given Rockstar's solid record as far as crafting quality story is concerned, mayhaps I'm being paranoid.
Anyway, if you want to read the entire article you can find it scanned here, but for the most salient points you can find them below:
- The protagonists names are: Michael (older guy), Trevor (a red neck, apparently), and Franklin (the African-American). Each has its own personality, skill set, and group of friends.
- Players can switch between the three main protagonists “nearly any time.”
- Characters you are not currently controlling will “go off and do their own thing.”
- It’s the same world as Grand Theft Auto 4 and Liberty City, so recurring characters could occur, unless hey are form the PS2-era titles.
- Randomized dynamic missions are back, and include “hitchhikers, muggers, and dead bodies.”
- Players can form friendships, but there won’t be an romancing this time out.
- Vehicles in the game include trucks, BMX and mountain bikes, ATVs, helicopters, cars, WaveRunners, dirtbikes.
- Heists will be predominant.
- Players can customize their look, but not through RPG elements such as with San Andreas.
- Missions will be more fleshed out, and side missions will be more complex – think Red Dead Redemption.
- Better driving controls were promised, as were improved shooting mechanics.
- Melee combat has been refined.
- Players can base jump, play tennis, a full round of golf, and participate in yoga, triathlons and jet skiing for recreational purposes.
MWEB Gamezone Twitter | Facebook