by Zaid Kriel (Zaid) Posted Monday, February 18, 2013 7:50:47 AM
Yesterday, uber-developers Bungie were kind enough to wind the crank on their hype machine to offer us the meagerest of details on their upcoming game Destiny
. Here it is below:
Maybe I am just being a cynical douchecanoe, but that 'ViDoc' - ugh - is not really revealing anything about the game. Here's what the video is telling us.
We are humans, we will fight aliens, with guns.
It could be about literally any of a 1000 games that have come out in the last 20 years. The only really interesting tidbit to come out of the video itself, is that there will be some kind of integration with mobile phones. Now that's not to say that there aren't interesting and innovative things about Destiny
, there are, they just didn't come out in the video. It was a nice video, and voice-over guy was really epic and all, but the video didn't tell us jack about the game. Except that Bungie think its going to be awesome, but they would think that wouldn't they.
Now don't me wrong, I have every confidence that this game is going to be extraordinary, but that's more to do with the information they revealed in an interview with IGN
and some of the commentary that accompanied the video's debut, rather than anything in the video itself. The important details regarding Destiny are as follows:
- The game is a quasi-MMO first person shooter. Bungie calls it a “shared world shooter”
- It will require an internet connection
- It is not subscription based
- The game's story is meant to be told over the next ten years and will be influenced by the actions of it players
- There are three confirmed player classes, the Hunter, Warlock and Titan. There may be more classes revealed later on.
- Players will have access to a personal space ship, also divided into different classes.
- Ergo intersellar travel is a feature in the game, though how exactly it will be portrayed is unknown
- Players can team-up, i.e. form parties, prior to going on missions
- Passive matchmaking will allow other players to dynamically join your game
- There will be some element of loot hunting and crafting. The game will have “a lot of great things to earn, find, and make.”
- Competitive mutliplayer will feature in some respect
- Players will be able to influence the game world even when not playing, via mobile phone apps. How that will work was not revealed
- The game will be available on both current and next-gen consoles.
- Cross-platfrom play will not be supported
- It won't be on PC or Wii U
Now why wasn't any of that in the video? Who knows.
MWEB Gamezone Twitter | Facebook
Other News from Around the 'Net:
Please note that the opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and not MWEB Connect (Pty) Ltd
Share This Article
comments powered by