I had an interesting conversation with my tattoo artist. Since he was inking Pacman, Space Invaders and such on my arm, the conversation naturally drifted towards gaming. He was also a gamer who used to prefer jamming hours away at a PC or console, but lately he found that he preferred playing on his iPad or iPhone. His reason – he didn’t have the time anymore to sit down and play hours on end in front of a PC or TV. He preferred to take small breaks and enjoy a bit of game time on a mobile device. He added that he found playing games on mobile to be much more relaxing than playing it on console or PC.
With our lives being caught up in the never ending rat race, I predict that more and more people are going to prefer playing on mobile devices. To help you select I chose five games for iOS that you should really give a try. If you prefer Android, don’t despair as we will make a list for that as well.
Who remembers Breakout from Atari? I used to play it for months, I simply couldn't get over my fascination with it. In my opinion Breakout is a timeless classic. It's been reinvented by TAITO for the iPhone and iPod touch.
Use the intuitive slide controls-ideally suited to the iPhone-to guide your VAUS spaceship from side to side, deflecting the energy ball and destroying the space wall, brick-by-brick! Broken bricks release a wide variety of power-up items, each adding a unique spin to game play. The game system changes as the story progresses, revealing new VAUS craft, new gimmicks, and new stages.
- Impressive volume: over 100 stages
- Branching level progression: blaze your own trail
- A mysterious story that reveals its secrets as play progresses
- Clever additions guaranteed to make long-time ARKANOID fans grin
- ARKANOID's legendary boss battles
- The MyBGM system allows you to customize the sound, assigning your favorite songs as background music
- This edition also includes a Versus Mode, allowing two players to compete against each other using a single iPhone/iPod touch
- Purchase from iTunes for R50
Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land
Hailed as one of the best strategy game on the iPad, Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land from Red Wasp Deisgn is a must play.
The Wasted Land is a turn-based strategy/role-playing game based on the award winning Call of Cthulhu RPG. Set in the midst of World War One, the game pits your team of investigators and soldiers against an ancient enemy, one older than humanity itself. Can your team of investigators keep their grip on sanity long enough to stop these diabolical plans? The fate of humanity is in your hands.
- Full 3D graphics with high quality textures, images and effects to bring the action alive
- All visuals are enhanced for retina and iPad displays
- Select from a range of authentic period weapons, equipment, armour, skills and more
- Build your team up to match your gaming style
- Integrates to Game Centre and Open Feint with challenging achievements to unlock
- Purchase from iTunes for R50
The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn
Who doesn't adore Tintin? He is a legend from printed media, to the big screen and now also on gaming. His innocent, boyish adventures will keep young and old entertained for hours.
Explore the exciting world of The Adventures of Tintin in the official iPhone & iPad game of the movie. Treasure and adventure await those who seek to unravel the Secret of the Unicorn.
- Sneak your way past guards, engage in a swordfight, pilot a plane, solve puzzles, race a camel and discover many more exciting experiences
- You’ll take control of his dog Snowy, Captain Haddock and even the legendary Sir Francis Haddock during the great Age of Pirates
- Players of all ages will enjoy the game
- Accessible controls allow you to easily interact with the environment
- With just a swipe of your finger (or a tilt of your device), you’ll be exploring the world, collecting items, and fighting off villains.
- Every building and character was carefully recreated in stunning 3D graphics that perfectly matches the style of the movie.
- Purchase from iTunes for R7
Plants vs Zombies 2
Plants vs Zombies is one of the most addictive games - on any platform. It's fun, progressively harder and full of humour.
Join Crazy Dave on a crazy adventure where you’ll meet, greet and defeat legions of zombies from the dawn of time to the end of days. Amass an army of powerful new plants, super charge them with Plant Food and power up your defenses with amazing new ways to protect your brain. Use your fingers to pinch, flick and zap zombies off your lawn.
Read the GameZone review, "Plants vs Zombies 2: It’s About Time iOS Review"
- New plants & zombies - Meet Bonk Choy, Bloomerang & Lightning Reed
- New ways to protect your brain - New Plant Food and power-ups will take your game to new dimensions
- Download Plants vs zombies 2 from iTunes for free
Deus Ex: The Fall
The Deus Ex franchise is one of the best in the industry. To have such a triple A game also land on iOS is something not to miss. There is however a "stability warning" with some of the devices.
Deus Ex: The Fall is the start of a new journey in the award winning Deus Ex game series. Set in 2027– the golden era for science, technology and human augmentation. Ben Saxon an augmented former British SAS Mercenary, is desperate for the truth behind a global conspiracy threatening his life.
- Story driven action RPG - Fight for survival in a global conspiracy
- Every action has a consequence
- The search for the truth spans from mafia hideouts in Moscow to the slums of Panama
- Hours of gameplay with multiple ways to play
- Visually stunning graphics, sound and music
- Intuitive touch screen controls
- High impact action and combat
- •Immersive storyline
- Fully explorable, stunning environments
- Play the way you want; full on action or stealth
- Social and hacking skills
- Original story set in the Deus Ex universe
- Unique visual design
- Purchase from iTunes for R50
Keep an eye on GameZone as a review on each of these games will follow soon. I would love to hear about your top 5 iOS games - drop me a comment.
Han’s Twitter | Blog / MWEB GameZone Twitter | Facebook
Other News from Around the 'Net:
Please note that the opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and not MWEB Connect (Pty) Ltd